Maxmod is a complete music and sound solution for the Nintendo DS® and Gameboy® Advance.
It is a very powerful library which supports playback for MOD, S3M, XM, and IT modules. It has many distinctive
features that separate it from other software available:
- Compact. Everything is carefully programmed in assembly language to achieve a minimal memory footprint and CPU load.
- Accurate. Tested with hundreds of modules.
- Optimized. CPU Load (ARM7) stays under 12% with 16 channel music. (DS)
- Smart. Manages channels between sound effects and music.
- Customized. The playback engine accepts a special module format that fully supports MOD, S3M, XM, and IT.
- Easy. Setting up musical playback in your project will take very little effort.
- Compressed sequencer data. Optimized pattern compression.
- Small memory footprint. Only what is neccessary.
- Jingle support. Play two modules simultaneously!
- Excellent quality. The DS version supports high quality audio modes, volume ramping, and channel swapping.
Features 5 songs played with Maxmod for DS. Also shows some examples
of song layering and sound effects. Please test on hardware; emulators do not
reproduce the sound properly.
The Maxmod library is currently being distributed by devkitPro.
For Windows® users, you can use the devkitPro Updater to retrieve the latest distribution.
Maxmod is open-source software. You can find the source code on the devkitPro Sourceforge page.
Since Maxmod was developed using unofficial tools, it is not currently usable in commercial software.
I myself am not an official developer, so I cannot support commercial usability because I do not have
access to the official Nintendo SDK.
If you are an official developer and would like to see (hear) Maxmod in a commercial title, I will be
happy to aid in getting the software to run in an official environment.
Thank you for your interest. If you have any questions, you may send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org or post on the forum.
We will try to respond within a few days.
Join us on IRC!